Translate

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I AM A KEEPER OF SHEEP- IX - Alberto Caeiro (Fernando Pessoa)

Fernando Pessoa was one of the greatest Portuguese poets/writer (1888-1935) of the 20th century, and had many alter-egos, witch Alberto Caeiro was is first and one of the most famous heteronyms. He used heteronyms instead of pseudonyms, because he wanted to create an entire new identity to each one of them, with their own personality, education, philosophy, political views and writing style, instead of just creating a false name. 

For Alberto Caeiro, the so called "The Sheepkeeper", was a simple and bucolic man, an agnostic shepherd that lived outside of Lisbon, with limited education, where the world is not a place of mystery or meaning, it is what it is, and it is to be absorbed by all other senses.

Fernando Pessoa believes that Alberto Caeiro knows reality better then anyone and does not question anything. He appreciates nature like no other and accepts the world as it is, living in peace and serenity.

And this is one of my favorite poem....



I'm a keeper of sheep.
The sheep are my thoughts
And my thoughts are all sensations.
I think with my eyes and ears
And with my hands and feet
And with my nose and mouth.

To think is to see it and smell it
And to eat a fruit is to taste it's meaning.

That's why on a hot day
When I ache from enjoying it so much,
And stretch out on the grass,
Closing my warm eyes,
I feel my whole body lying full length in reality,
I know the truth and I'm happy.

Alberto Caeiro

No comments:

Post a Comment